The Force India driver took offence to a tweet from the official Hawkers account which – although obviously intended to be light-hearted – Perez deemed as offensive to his country.
Trump's Mexican wall
Referring to comments made by Trump during his campaign that if elected he would build a wall between USA and Mexico and get the Mexicans to pay for it, the tweet (since deleted) joked:
“Mexicans! Put on these lenses so that they won’t see you crying tomorrow when you’re building the wall.”
However, Perez didn’t see the funny side and responded shortly after to say that he’d be severing his ties with the brand.
"Really bad comment"
“Really bad comment,” he tweeted. “Today I am breaking my relationship with @HawkersMX. I will never let anyone make fun of my country.”
The relationship between Perez and Hawkers is only weeks old, the brand having released it’s Perez-edition glasses on November 2 for a price of 725 Mexican pesos (approximately €32).
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS MLS 2020 play-offs: schedule, games and dates
- US News What did Trump say about Biden and voter fraud?
- AS AWARDS GALA 2020 Nadal: "Thank you for this award during these difficult times"
- Atlético Madrid Luis Suárez set to train after negative covid-19 test
- VICENTE JIMÉNEZ Everyone's success
- AS SPORTS AWARDS Casillas: "Zidane has earned the right to lead Real Madrid"