The Force India driver took offence to a tweet from the official Hawkers account which – although obviously intended to be light-hearted – Perez deemed as offensive to his country.
Trump's Mexican wall
Referring to comments made by Trump during his campaign that if elected he would build a wall between USA and Mexico and get the Mexicans to pay for it, the tweet (since deleted) joked:
“Mexicans! Put on these lenses so that they won’t see you crying tomorrow when you’re building the wall.”
However, Perez didn’t see the funny side and responded shortly after to say that he’d be severing his ties with the brand.
"Really bad comment"
“Really bad comment,” he tweeted. “Today I am breaking my relationship with @HawkersMX. I will never let anyone make fun of my country.”
The relationship between Perez and Hawkers is only weeks old, the brand having released it’s Perez-edition glasses on November 2 for a price of 725 Mexican pesos (approximately €32).
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops