The Force India driver took offence to a tweet from the official Hawkers account which – although obviously intended to be light-hearted – Perez deemed as offensive to his country.
Trump's Mexican wall
Referring to comments made by Trump during his campaign that if elected he would build a wall between USA and Mexico and get the Mexicans to pay for it, the tweet (since deleted) joked:
“Mexicans! Put on these lenses so that they won’t see you crying tomorrow when you’re building the wall.”
However, Perez didn’t see the funny side and responded shortly after to say that he’d be severing his ties with the brand.
"Really bad comment"
“Really bad comment,” he tweeted. “Today I am breaking my relationship with @HawkersMX. I will never let anyone make fun of my country.”
The relationship between Perez and Hawkers is only weeks old, the brand having released it’s Perez-edition glasses on November 2 for a price of 725 Mexican pesos (approximately €32).
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF Tiger Woods congratulates history-making Matsuyama
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood and Rashford need another year of Cavani at Man Utd - Neville
- QATAR 2022 Lusail will be the last World Cup stadium to be inaugurated
- REAL MADRID Zidane won't risk Hazard for Real Madrid clash with Liverpool
- BAYERN MUNICH Lewandowski back running as Muller targets Bayern victory over PSG
- QATAR International Table Tennis Federation awards Aspetar