Sporting ordered to close sector following racist chanting
The judgement came after racist chanting directed at Iñaki Williams on the opening day of the 2016/17 season at El Molinon.
Spanish football's disciplinary committee have ordered a partial closure of Sporting Gijon's El Molinón stadium (south stand) following racist chanting from the home fans aimed at Iñaki Williams during the opening day of the current season when Sporting faced Athletic Bilbao in Gijon.
The Asturian club were informed of the decision later yesterday and shortly after issued an official communique where they acknowledged the chanting but claim that every measure was in place to prevent this type of action, they added that it's impossible for the football club to identify the culprits despite CCTV footage and information supplied by LaLiga's match observer.
Sporting closed stating that the football club are not responsible for any chanting or insult of a racist, violent or xenophobic nature at the stadium.
This morning Sporting's attorney, Ramon de Santiago stated that the club would exhaust every means possible to ensure that the south stand is not partially closed.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries