Atlético Madrid unveil new club badge
Los Rojiblancos' announcement of the name of their new stadium also saw them spring a surprise by revealing a remodelled crest.Senegal - Colombia: World Cup 2018 Group H, game 3
Atlético Madrid have unveiled a new club crest, which will appear on all Los Rojiblancos' kits from the 2017/18 season onwards.
Revealed as Atlético confirm stadium name
The announcement came as Atlético confirmed the name of their new, 67,000-capacity stadium, which the LaLiga outfit are to move into next term.
Created by international design agency Vasava, the rounder badge pays homage to the first ever logo used by the club after its founding in 1903.
According to Vasava, the revamped crest seeks to "represent the club's traditional values while also looking to the future".
Speaking on Friday, Atlético midfielder and captain Gabi Fernández said: "I like the badge, because it's true to our history."
Atlético supporters not convinced by crest
However, the crest has so far met with a mixed reception among the Atleti faithful, with fans taking to social media to express their displeasure at the move.
In response to Gabi's positive appraisal of the redesign, one user said: "When he's no longer at the club he'll say what he really thinks. Right now he can't."
Another tweeter replied simply: "Pull the other one, Gabriel Fernández".
What do you think of Atlético's new badge? Let us know in the comments section below.
Recommended in English
- BOXING WBC orders Tyson Fury to defend title against Dillian Whyte
- NFL How does Mac Jones' first year compare to Tom Brady's first year?
- NFL Washington's Fitzpatrick needs hip surgery, out rest of season
- NBA The NBA will restrict unvaccinated player travel
- NBA Who are the NBA's all-time leaders in triple-doubles?
- MLB Will Barry Bonds get into the MLB Hall of Fame? Why isn't he in already?