Oblak, Escudero and Messi make official 'Team of the Group Stages', but no place for Real Madrid
The Atletico stopper, Sevilla left-back and Barcelona forward were all included in UEFA's official Team of the Champions League Group Stages, but not one Real Madrid player made the grade. Juventus-Barcelona live online: ICC 2017
UEFA has revealed its official team of the Champions League group stages, which is assembled using the players with highest number of points in the competition’s online Fantasy Football format.
Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak, Sevilla defender Sergio Escudero and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi all make the team, but there is no room for any Real Madrid players. Los Blancos were also snubbed in L’Equipe’s ideal XI of the group stages last week.
Polish stopper Oblak conceded just two goals in six games as Atletico finished top of their group ahead of Bayern Munich, while Spaniard Escudero was also rewarded with a place in the side thanks to the key role he played as Sevilla's attack-minded left-back in qualification from Group G.
Lionel Messi, meanwhile, was the competition’s maximum goalscorer in the group stages with 10 strikes in five matches, significantly cutting down Cristiano Ronaldo’s lead in the race to 100 Champions League goals in the process.
UEFA Champions League: Team of the Group Stages
Jan Oblak (Atletico), Mathias Jorgesen (FC Copenhagen), Ludwig Augustinsson (FC Copenhagen),Sergio Escudero (Sevilla), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), André Silva (Porto), Riyad Mahrez (Leicester), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Leo Messi Barcelona), Edinson Cavani (PSG).
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?