Atleti chief confirms: "Cholo will be with us next season..."
The Calderón CEO told Spanish television that despite rumours about his coach leaving, he will remain for the final year of his contract.
Atlético Madrid CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín said on Tuesday that Diego Simeone will be staying at Atlético until at least the end of his contract, which expires in June 2018.
“Simeone will remain at Atlético for the rest of this season and the next,” Gil Marín told Spanish television channel La Sexta during the Liga Promises tournament being staged in Tenerife.
Simone has a contract until the end of the 2017-18 season but is in such demand that he is almost constantly linked with a move to another European club. Simeone has stated his intention to coach Inter, who he represented as a player, at some stage in the future.
The rumour mill went into overdrive after Atlético lost the Champions League final against Real Madrid at the end of last season, causing Simeone to tell a press conference that he needed “some time to think” about his future.
However, he elected to stay and now Gil Marín’s words will give some assurance that the talismanic Argentinean manager will be on the touchline for Atlético for at least another season and a half.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash