Zidane blasts Real Madrid's slow start in Valencia defeat
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane admitted that Los Blancos' sluggish opening cost them as they were beaten 2-1 at Mestalla on Wednesday.
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane bemoaned his side's slow start after two early goals saw the LaLiga leaders lose 2-1 to Valencia on Wednesday night.
"We lost the game in the first minutes"
Costly opening period: "It's clear that we lost the game in the first ten minutes. We started the game very poorly. Normally, our chief strength is the way we start games, but today it was the complete opposite."
Too little, too late: "They scored two, then we did good things - but it was too late. In the first ten minutes, we weren't smart or on our guard."
Are you worried? "I'm not worried. We're angry about the first ten minutes. But there are no excuses. In football, your mindset is very important and in the first ten minutes it wasn't right."
"One poor touch and you're f**ked"
What did the team lack? "In the first ten minutes, we lacked concentration without the ball, [Simone] Zaza was always between the lines and hurt us. We were too open, one poor touch and you're f**ked."
Moving on from defeat: "We have a game on Sunday [away to Villarreal], and now what we have to do is rest and focus on the next one."
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?