Real Madrid fans have spoken: they want Zinedine Zidane to drop goalkeeper Keylor Navas and replace him with Kiko Casilla for the trip to Villarreal on Sunday.
In an AS.com poll, 67% of 7,542 fans said they would prefer the substitute Spanish goalie to start over the out-of-form Costa Rican number one at the Estadio de la Cerámica.
Navas unable to recover 2015-16 form
Navas has consistently been Zidane’s first-choice stopper since he took over at the club in January 2016 with Casilla deputising for him at the start of the season as he recovered from an ankle operation.
However, since the surgery the Tico has been unable to recapture the impressive form that endeared him to Real Madrid fans during the 2015-16 campaign.
Indeed the stats make for damning reading regarding Navas’s shot-to-save rate this season compared to the previous year, and there have been notable mistakes too (against Napoli and Sevilla), resulting in growing calls for him to be replaced by the reliable Casilla in recent weeks.
Keylor unsettled by De Gea and Courtois rumours?
While many point to Navas’ loss of confidence following his operation last summer, rumours over the signing of a new goalkeeper – with the club said to be sounding out Manchester United’s David De Gea and Chelsea’s Courtois – may have also affected his performance.
One thing that is for sure, however, is that his popularity amongst the Bernabéu faithful has faded: only 33% trust him to play against Villarreal.
Follow the LaLiga 2016/2017 match Villarreal – Real Madrid .
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?