Atleti eyeing Leverkusen star as Gabi and Tiago replacement
With the captain approaching his 34th birthday and the Portuguese his 36th, Diego Simeone is on the lookout for fresh legs.
Kevin Kampl has emerged as a target for Atlético Madrid as Diego Simeone continues his search for a long-term successor to both club captain Gabi and Portuguese midfielder Tiago ahead of next season. With Augusto Fernández also a long-term injury absence, the centre of midfield has become a priority area for reinforcement for the Rojiblancos.
Kampl, 26, impressed for his side Bayer Leverkusen against Atlético in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie in the BayArena and the sides will meet again on March 15 in the Calderón, giving Atlético’s scouts another opportunity to take a close look at the Slovenia international.
Kampl a Bayer regular this season
Kampl has been a regular in the Bayer side this season, making 21 appearances in the Bundesliga and playing every game in the Champions League apart from a group stage match against Monaco, which he missed with injury.
The midfielder returned to Leverkusen in 2015 after spells with Osnabrück, Aalen, Red Bull Salzburg and Borussia Dortmund. Kampl, who has 23 caps for his country, has a minimum release clause of 11 million euros.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Who plays on Thursday Night Football? NFL | Week 7
- SOCCER Hernán ‘Bolillo’ Gómez to be appointed as Honduras' new manager
- SOCCER Mexico's new logo gets leaked ahead of the World Cup
- NBA Boston Celtics 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA 76ers' Doc Rivers speaks on Ben Simmons, again
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series