Laudrup, Rijkaard, Martino and Gallardo: candidates for Las Palmas bench
With the departure of Quique Setién at the end of the season, the Gran Canaria based side are looking for a new coach ahead of the 2017/18 campaign.
With the recent announcement of Quique Setién's intention to stand down as first team coach come June 30, the sporting director at the island based club has his work cut out to find a suitable replacement for Setien who has brought back the slick passing, possession based game identity so often sought by fans of the side.
Michael Laudrup and Frank Rijkaard are just two of the names linked with a potential move to Gran Canaria and are highly regarded for their previous experience with the domestic Spanish game. Laudrup is currently overseeing Al Rayyan in the Qatari Stars League whilst the Dutch coach has stated his intention to return to the coaching game after an indifferent spell with the Saudi Arabian national team.
After Marcelino was ruled out with the Asturian preferring to concentrate on "other projects" and Machín currently striving to take second division side Girona to top flight football, Las Palmas have stated that their intention is to elect a coach who "the fans will take to".
Other names linked with the Las Palmas bench are ‘Tata’ Martino and Marcelo ‘Muñeco’ Gallardo. Both Argentinians are currently holding coaching positions with Martinez being the debut coach for new MLS franchise Atlanta United and Gallardo currently on the River Plate bench.
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 26 de marzo de 2017
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston