Ingolstadt relegated from Bundesliga after last-gasp Lassoga goal
A draw with Freiburg and drama at Schalke on Saturday means Ingolstadt's two-year spell in the Bundesliga has come to an end.
Ingolstadt have been relegated from the Bundesliga as a result of their 1-1 draw with Freiburg on Saturday.
The stalemate at Schwarzwald Stadion had looked set to be good enough to keep them alive heading into the final week of matches, with Hamburg losing 1-0 to Schalke at Veltins Arena.
However, an injury-time equaliser from Pierre-Michel Lasogga snatched a draw for HSV that ensures they stay four points above Ingolstadt in the table and confirms the latter's relegation.
Ingolstadt fans still believed
Ingolstadt fans thought they had been granted a reprieve when news filtered through of a stoppage-time Schalke goal from Sead Kolasinac, but it was ruled out after Lewis Holtby's corner was adjudged to have gone out of play before being turned in by the defender.
Maik Walpurgis' side, who won the 2.Bundesliga title in May 2015 to secure promotion to the top flight, will join Darmstadt in dropping down to the second tier for next season.
Ingolstadt performed impressively in their first campaign back in the top flight, finishing 11th in the table and only 10 points shy of the European places.
They have struggled since head coach Ralph Hasenhuttl, who left for RB Leipzig last May, however, winning only eight of their 33 league games to date this term.
Hamburg can still climb out of the relegation play-off spot if they beat Wolfsburg on the final day of the season, with Andries Jonker's side having drawn 1-1 at Borussia Monchengladbach after a lengthy stoppage in play due to a hail storm.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United