Atlético Madrid are counting down the days until they bid farewell to the Vicente Calderón, and move to the Wanda Metropolitano in the east of the city. Koke paid tribute to Atleti’s ground since 1966 together with Mahou, an official club sponsor.
Koke: Calderón is special because of the people
For the midfielder, the stadium “is special because of the people, they don’t come here just to watch the football, they come here to live it. I came with my dad, my grandad, and my brother, and I will always remember that… it’s incredible that, not so long ago, it was me supporting in the stands. Now, they’re supporting me.”
With one game still left to play, against Athletic Club on Sunday, Atlético have already secured third place in LaLiga, behind Barcelona and Real Madrid. The AS English Oracle has tipped Atleti to beat Ernesto Valverde's team at the Calderón.
Koke believes that the season “has been very good, we’ve met our objective of finishing in third place and qualifying for the Champions League.
“We always want to win titles, but after a difficult end to last season it wasn’t easy to get back amongst the best clubs.”
'I would love to retire at Atlético'
Koke also spoke about his future at Los Rojiblancos: “I’ve won pretty much everything here, and I hope I can keep winning titles.
“I would love to retire here. You never know in football, but it would be a lovely story, having started out here as a six year old.”
Te recomendamos en English
- WORLD NEWS Spanish volcanologist explains what will happen when the lava reaches the sea on La Palma
- NFL NFL: Which players were fined from Week 2?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-Of-Living-Projection historically high?
- US NEWS What age should you file for social security to get the maximum benefits?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Arsenal vs Tottenham live online: Premier League 2021/22