Madrid Galácticos thump Roma as Ronaldo returns to the Bernabéu
Real Madrid won the Corazón Classic Match 4-0 in front of a bumper crowd, thanks to goals from Morientes (2), Luis Figo, and Congo.
Madrid continues to party following the club’s LaLiga and Champions League double. Seven days after Los Blancos celebrated their 12th European Cup victory, 67,000 supporters returned to the Bernabéu to watch the match between Real Madrid legends and Roma legends.
Madrid host Galáctico reunion
The players who took to the turf boasted 327 titles between them. The most eagerly-anticipated by the crowd was Ronaldo, but the Brazilian only managed to play for 33 minutes. He recently stated that he never wanted to leave the club, but endured a strained relationship with Fabio Capello.
The match was something of a Galáctico reunion. Roberto Carlos, Figo, and Raúl joined Ronaldo in the starting line-up. While legendary Brazilian Cafu wore the red of Roma, along with Bruno Conti, Zibi Boniek, and Aldair.
Morientes at the double
Fernando Morientes headed Madrid in to the lead from a Roberto Carlos delivery, after 29 minutes. Seven minutes later, Luis Figo scored Madrid’s second with a lovely free-kick.
In the second half, the constant carrousel of substitutions broke the flow of the match. Yet on the hour mark, Morientes doubled his personal tally for the evening. Congo finished off the rout after 80 minutes.
Te recomendamos en English
- Ryder Cup: Garcia gets action underway at Whistling Straits
- Joshua v Usyk: AJ aims to keep it simple as Fury looms large over capital clash
- WORLD NEWS What has Biden said about the Evergrande crisis?
- NFL NFL: Chargers after another road win at Chiefs in big AFC West clash
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card