Aleñá: alarm bells ring at Barça over future of La Masia star
Carles Aleñá is the most promising young talent at Ernesto Valverde's disposal, but there is a risk that the 19 year old will leave Camp Nou this month.
The departure of Jordi Mboula to Monaco rocked Barcelona. The 18 year old moved to the principality as the top scorer in the UEFA Youth League, with Barça unable to convince him that Camp Nou was the best place to complete his development. Now, alarm bells are ringing over the future of Carles Aleñá.
Aleñá could leave Barcelona for a meagre fee
Aleñá is the most promising talent on the faltering conveyor belt out of La Masia. He could be form part of Ernesto Valverde’s first-team squad in the medium term, but there is a very real danger that he will leave the club this very month.
Aleñá’s contract with Barcelona expires on 30 June 2018. He is represented by Iván de la Peña, and Azulgrana legend Carles Puyol. He is yet to sign a contract extension, and as his current deal enters its final year on 1 July, his release clause will rise from €3m to €12m. As a result, the player could leave for a relative pittance before the end of June. There would not be a shortage of offers.
Ernesto Valverde keen on Aleñá
Jordi Mestre, sporting vice-president at the club, will this week turn his attention to convincing Aleñá to stay put. The 19-year-old midfielder made his debut for the first team in April 2017, coming on as a substitute for Ivan Rakitic in a match against Granada.
Ernesto Valverde wants to include Aleñá in pre-season group, and possibly in his first-team squad next season. He is more than just a footballer for Barcelona. He is a symbol of the work that La Masia does, in a period when things are not going so well for the much-heralded academy. His departure would send further shockwaves through the club.
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history