Cerci leaves Atlético after his contract is cut short
The Italian had one year set to run on his contract, but with little chance of breaking in to Simeone's plans, he will become a free agent. Olympiacos are keen.
Alessio Cerci has today ended his association with Atlético Madrid by terminating his contract a year earlier than planned.
Cerci: Olympiacos keen on winger
The Italian winger, who arrived at the Calderón from Torino in 2014, had a contract until the end of the 2017/18 season. Yet, as he was not in Diego Simeone's plans, a mutual termination was deemed mutually beneficial. Cerci is now a free agent, leaving him free to negotiate with other clubs.
He has an offer from Olympiacos, of the Greek Super League, while Bologna and Crotone are keen to take Cerci back to Italy.
Simeone was never convinced
Cerci only played two matches during the 2016/17 season, against Guijuelo and Osasuna. The wide-man never came close to convincing 'El Cholo' Simeone of his worth to los Rojiblancos, nor did he reach the levels of performance that prompted Atlético to sign him three summers ago.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped