Juan Carlos Navarro to retire from Spain's national team after Eurobasket 2017
Spain's shooting guard and team captain will retire from the international stage this summer, aged 37. He is three games away from equalling Epi's appearances.Nadal vs Thiem live online: 2018 French Open final
"This will be my final year with the national team", Juan Carlos Navarro announced during an interview with Radio Marca this morning. The forthcoming FIBA Eurobasket 2017 tournament, which take place from 31 August to 17 September will be his curtain call. The 37-year-old Spain captain has won nine medals during an international career which has spanned 17 years.
Navarro close to setting new appearances record for Spain
Navarro is just two games away from equalling the 239 international apperances which Juan Antonio San Epifanio Epi made for Spain - a national team record. "It's clear that I am no longer the player who could play 30 minutes, everyone knows that but I will try, to the best of my ability, to help the team as much as I can”, he told AS on Friday.
Navarro's international honours list
3 gold medals: 2006 World Championship and Eurobasket 2009 and 2011
4 silver medals: Olympic Games 2008 and 2012; Eurobasket 2003 and 2007
2 bronze medals: Olympic Games 2016 and Eurobasket 2001
MVP Eurobasket 2011
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Parents charged after Michigan school shooting: what is involuntary manslaughter?
- NFL What are the most common injuries in NFL?
- SOCCER Real Madrid: Ancelotti encourages Mbappé to follow his dreams
- Real Madrid Gareth Bale close to making Real Madrid return
- BARCELONA Barcelona hoping to offload Samuel Umtiti in January
- NBA Jordan, Shaq, Harden... The players who led to NBA rule changes