Has Neymar actually done anything wrong?
Is there really anything wrong with what Neymar has done?
It would have been a far bigger crime had Neymar turned the screw on Barcelona, pressurizing the club to sell him for a fee way below his buy-out clause. He hasn't done that. PSG will pay the 222 million euros in full - the figure which corresponds to the contract both Neymar and Barcelona signed in July last year. Barcelona meanwhile have a whole month and purchasing power to find a replacement.
Much worse would have been had he rebelled, failed to show up for duty, or shirk his duties to Barcelona as a player. Neymar has not done that either. He has been the team's best player during this pre-season: he scored a brace against Juventus, hit the winner against Man United and set up two of Barça's three goals in the Miami Clásico against Real Madrid.
Neymar simply wanted to leave and found a buyer - someone who willing to pay his buy-out and willing to agree a business arrangement which economically, will be beneficial to both parties.
Barcelona can't complain
Cry a little, sure. But what have they got to complain about? During these past two weeks, since my good colleague Marcelo Bechler at Esporte Interativo broke the news that Neymar had an agreement with PSG, I've heard countless arguments, mostly against, concerning 'the way' in which this whole affair has been handled.
But nobody has convinced me that a different or less traumatic way for a sporting superstar to leave a club really exists.
And while Sandro Rosell wanted to convince us that Neymar signed for Barcelona "for love", in reality the player joined for 40 million euros paid in black money for which Neymar's family, Barça, the club's president and his predecessor had to explain in the courts of law.
So it was that kind of relationship from the outset - murky and not fully above board. Barcelona, rather moan about losing Neymar, should be grateful to have come out of the divorce with 222 million bulging in their pocket.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- US NEWS How much will the Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustment increase be in 2022?
- NFL Minnesota Vikings DE, Everson Griffen out after car accident
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will AOC’s bill extend pandemic unemployment insurance until 2022?
- MLS Beckham increases MLS club Inter Miami ownership stake
- LIGUE 1 Phil Collins set for Parc des Prince return after PSG fans protest