Real Madrid did not intend to enter the transfer market to replace Danilo, the reserve right back who left for Manchester City earlier in the summer. Yet the situation could change by the time the window closes at the start of September.
Dani Alves pushes Meunier out of PSG plans
Thomas Meunier is angling for a move away from PSG as he does not want to be back-up to Dani Alves, and the Belgian’s preferred destination is the Santiago Bernabéu.
According to OKDiario, Madrid are considering the 25-year-old, who has featured 15 times for his country. He would be available for between €15m and €20m, considerably more than the €7m fee that PSG paid Club Brugge for his services one year ago.
The acquisition of Meunier would allow Zidane to have experienced cover for each defensive position. Dani Carvajal is the only player in the squad who does not have a natural deputy; Nacho, or one of youngsters from Castilla - Tejero or Achraf - provide limited depth compared to other positions.
Meunier would represent solid back-up. Yet it appears curious that he would be happy to accept a back-up role at Madrid, given that he wants to leave PSG precisely because Dani Alves has relegated him to second choice.
He played 90 minutes as PSG defeated Monaco 2-1 in the French Super Cup final on 29th July, as Unai Emery opted to play Dani Alves in midfield. But he did not feature in the Parisian club’s Ligue 1 opener against Amiens, due to an unspecified injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze
- OLYMPIC GAMES Which Olympic boxer has won the most medals?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Megan Rapinoe could retire from USWNT after Olympic campaign