Lucas impresses at left back for Atleti in Theo's absence
Filipe Luis is injured and Lucas is the Hernández brother who has stepped up to replace him. Theo, the natural heir, has crossed the city to Real Madrid.
Atlético Madrid considered Theo Hernández to be the natural replacement for Filipe Luis. But the young Frenchman deemed the grass to be greener across the city at the Santiago Bernabéu, where he moved earlier this summer. Now, his brother Lucas is impressing in the left-back spot made available by an injury to the Brazilian.
Lucas impressed Simeone with versatility
Lucas Hernández’ performances have been a positive of Atlético’s pre-season campaign. ‘El Cholo’ Simeone has deployed him both in the centre and on the left of the defence, and goes in to the LaLiga season in the knowledge that he is reliable in both roles.
The 21-year-old played at centre back against Toluca, Napoli, and Liverpool. The injury to Filipe Luis provoked Lucas’ switch to the left for the friendly against Brighton. He impressed on the south coast of England, scoring a goal in the 89th minute of the 2-3 victory. He continued at full back against Getafe, and will line up there against Girona on the first day of the LaLiga season.
Atlético keen to keep hold
Lucas has attracted admiring gazes from clubs across Europe. Pep Guardiola was eager to take him to Manchester City, but Atlético were always clear that he was a big part of their present, and future.
Simeone is delighted with his performances, and his younger brother Theo may be forgotten sooner rather than later.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash