Real Madrid: Varane injury leaves Zidane with defensive shortage
Raphael Varane has been ruled out of Real's LaLiga match against Valencia on Sunday, leaving coach Zinedine Zidane short on options in central defence.
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane faces a defensive headache ahead of Sunday's LaLiga clash with Valencia after Raphael Varane was ruled out with a groin injury.
Varane, Ramos and Vallejo all unavailable against Valencia
Centre-back Varane was missing from Real's final training session before their first home league game of the season, with Zidane later confirming that the France international "has an adductor issue".
The Spanish champions are already without central defenders Sergio Ramos, who is suspended after his opening-weekend red card at Deportivo La Coruña, and Jesús Vallejo, who is still recovering from a thigh strain.
Nacho Fernández is expected to occupy one of the vacant berths at the heart of Los Blancos' backline, with uncertainty over who will partner the academy graduate.
Kovacic in line for return to Real Madrid squad
Meanwhile, midfielder Mateo Kovacic is set to return to contention after sitting out the win at Depor and the Trofeo Bernabéu victory over Fiorentina with a knock.
Cristiano Ronaldo, who serves the third of his five-match ban during the visit of Los Che, was absent from Real training with Zidane's permission.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22