Marcelo sent off for kicking Lerma
The Real Madrid defender will be suspended after lashing out at the Levante player in the closing stages of the match at the Bernabéu.
Marcelo received a straight red card in the 88th minute of Real Madrid's 1-1 draw against Levante at the Bernabéu this afternoon, Saturday 9 September, on matchday 3 of LaLiga.
Straight red for Marcelo
With Real Madrid throwing everything at Levante in the closing stages of the game to try and grab a winner, Marcelo ran through into the box and got his shot off before clashing with Lerma. As the Real Madrid player fell he swung out with his boot at the Levante player and an eagle-eyed referee, Alejandro José Hernández Hernández, spotted the infraction and sent the player straight off.
Marcelo could be suspended for up to four games for the sending off, but the referee's report makes it appear likely that he will receive the minimum sentence of a two game ban for a straight red, with the ref not making any mention of violent conduct, but merely having "kicked out".
That would mean either a two or three game ban, with precedent indicating the former more likely. Real Madrid's next games are Real Sociedad away, Betis at home, Alavés away and Real Madrid v Espanyol.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What businesses accept payment with cryptocurrencies in the US?
- NFL How many times have the Los Angeles Rams reached the NFC NFL Conference Finals?
- NFL How many times have Cincinnati Bengals reached AFC Championship Game?
- SOCCER Cristiano Ronaldo complains about market valuation and asks for an explanation
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Spotify seal deal for Camp Nou naming rights
- 'I thought I was dreaming!' – Warriors star Wiggins reacts to All-Star selection