Ribéry faces Bayern's wrath after shirt-throwing tantrum
The Frenchman hurled his strip at the bench after being substituted, drawing criticism from Carlo Ancelotti and Lothar Matthäus.
Germany legend Lothar Matthäus and Bayern coach Carlo Ancelotti have criticised veteran midfielder Franck Ribéry for pulling off his shirt and throwing it at the bench in anger after being substituted in the Champions League win over Anderlecht.
Having picked up an early booking for arguing with the referee in Tuesday's 3-0 victory over the Belgian side, Ribéry was taken off with 12 minutes to go in Munich and hurled his shirt at the Bayern bench.
"Ribéry has been here long enough now -- he is emotional, but you can't throw your shirt on the bench like that," ex-Bayern midfielder and Germany captain Matthäus told Sky. "That is a bad sign against the club."
Ancelotti was equally unimpressed by the 34-year-old Frenchman's behaviour.
"Of course, the player wants to play 90 minutes, but I decided to take him off because there were 10 minutes left, we had the game under control and he already had a yellow card," said the Italian. "He had had problems [a knock] at the weekend, so I don't understand his reaction and I will talk to him about it."
Ribéry could face club investigation
"Something like that shouldn't happen. We are FC Bayern, that is not okay and we will talk about it," added director of sport Hasan Salihamidzic.
Bayern played nearly 80 minutes against 10 men after Anderlecht had defender Sven Kums sent off just before Robert Lewandowski converted a penalty.
Ribéry's is just the latest Bayern star to show unrest.
Last week, Robert Lewandowski criticised the club's spending policy while Germany forward Thomas Müller complained about starting on the bench in the 2-0 win at Werder Bremen a fortnight ago.
Defending champions Bayern have made a poor start to the new Bundesliga season as Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Hoffenheim left them sixth in the table, their worst position after three games since 2010/11.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?