Pepe Mel leaves Deportivo
The Galician side confirmed the sacking in an official communique with the side hovering above the drop zone in LaLiga.
Pepe Mel's time on the Deportivo bench has come to an end as, after seven months with the Galician outfit, the club confirmed that they are terminating his contract with immediate effect.
Club president Tino Fernandez spoke directly with the Madrid born coach via telephone this morning to break the news to Mel and Depor subsequently issued an official statement this afternoon confirming the decision. The 54 year old is expected to speak to the media this evening from Abegondo as his bids his last goodbye to the first team squad with "B" team coach Cristóbal Parralo set to oversee the first team coach in the interim.
Mel managed to keep Depor in the top flight after a difficult end to the 2016/17 campaign and against growing supporter unrest and poor start to the new season the president felt that the time had come for a change of coaching direction with the home defeat at the hands of newly promoted Girona this week-end being the final straw for Mel.
With his sacking Pepe Mel is the fourth LaLiga managerial casualty of the season jointing Fran Escriba (Villarreal), Luis Zubeldia (Alaves) and Las Palmas' Manolo Marquez who resigned from his post.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 6
- NFL Ravens' John Harbaugh thinks Jackson critique misses point
- NFL Which NFL players have 'gone broke' after their career?
- SOCCER Real Madrid team news, possible starting XI against Shakhtar
- NBA NBA 21/22 season: How much does a cheerleader earn?
- MLB Astros vs. Red Sox live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series