NewslettersSign inAPP
españaESPAÑAargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAméxicoMÉXICOperúPERÚusa latinoUSA LATINOaméricaAMÉRICA


Mass brawl in Singapore National Football League match

Police were forced to intervene at the end of the clash between Singapore Armed Forces Sports Association and Yishun Sentek Mariners.

Mass brawl in Singapore National Football League match

A massive fight erupted during a Singapore National Football League (NFL) match between Singapore Armed Forces Sports Association (Safsa) and Yishun Sentek Mariners at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Sunday night.

The brawl occurred during injury time in the second half, when a Sentek Mariners player was sent off with his team losing 2-3.

Prior to the match, Mariners occupied the top spot of the 12-team NFL while Safsa were second.

According to the StraitsTimes, police were forced to intervene as the match was stopped for about 15 minutes.

The Football Association of Singapore is investigating the incident.

The National Football League (NFL) is the second tier in Singapore's football pyramid.

NFL Division One: Fracas at Jalan Besar between SAFSA and Yishun Sentek Mariners; For those who were there, could you help to verify what happened? Source: WhatsApp

Posted by The Unofficial S.League Podcast on Sunday, November 12, 2017

The brawl

The violence occurred after Mariners defender Zulfadhli Suzliman was sent off during the final moments of the match.

According to Sentek Mariners coach Yakob Hashim, also a FAS member, the trouble began when a Safsa player "verbally abused" Zulfadhli's mother.

"Zulfadhli told me Nazirul verbally abused his mother and he retaliated with a kick, which led to his red card although Nazirul was not booked,” said Hashim to the StratsTimes.

"I was paying attention to the both of them when another scuffle involving the reserves broke out at another corner of the pitch.

"It is regrettable that such an incident has happened. Investigations are ongoing and we will cooperate fully with the relevant authorities."

Investigations underway

FAS said in a statement that they are investigating the incident.

"The FAS does not condone any ungentlemanly behaviour that taints the name of our sport, and brings it into disrepute," reads the statement published on FAS’ Facebook page.

"As the matter is under investigation, we are unable to make any further comments."

Last year, a similar event happened during a Singapore FA Cup first-round match between Safsa and Balestier United Recreation Club.

Balestier United were banned from participating in the FA Cup for two years and received a $1,000 fine.


To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?