Alavés: Abelardo named as LaLiga strugglers' new coach
The ex-Sporting Gijón boss, who ended his playing career at Alavés, has been appointed as Gianni de Biasi's replacement at the LaLiga club.
Former Barcelona defender Abelardo Fernández has been named as struggling LaLiga side Alavés' third coach of the season on a six-month deal.
Abelardo out to reproduce Sporting Gijón heroics
Abelardo ended his playing career at Alavés in 2003, and has been hired to recreate his success in keeping Sporting Gijón in LaLiga against the odds in the 2015/16 season.
"Deportivo Alavés have completed the appoinment of Abelardo Fernández as the club's new coach," the Vitoria-based outfit said in a statement.
"He has experience in Alavés' goal for the season in staying up and has committed himself until the end of the season."
De Biasi fired just two months after replacing Zubeldia
Italian coach Gianni de Biasi was sacked after just seven LaLiga games in charge on Monday with Alavés, who finished ninth and reached the Copa del Rey final under Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino last season, languishing bottom of the table and six points off safety.
Luis Zubeldia was fired as Alavés boss in September after just four games.
Abelardo tenure kicks off at Girona on Monday
Abelardo will have to wait until Monday for his first game in charge when Alavés visit Girona.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Packers and Bears clash as Cardinals aim for six wins in a row
- NFL Eagles trade veteran TE Zach Ertz to unbeaten Cardinals
- LALIGA Ambitious Pedri wants to 'win everything every year' with Barça
- SOCCER European nations set to block FIFA World Cup plans regardless of vote
- NFL Which NBA teams have the highest salary cap in the 21-22 season?
- NBA | NETS Durant on Kyrie Irving situation: "What is being mad going to do?"