Zidane unable to call on Álvaro Tejero for Sevilla clash
The 21-year-old was shown a fifth yellow card during Castilla's game against San Sebastián de los Reyes last weekend and must serve the corresponding suspension.
More headaches for Real Madrid in the run-up to Saturday's league clash with Sevilla. Zidane has six members of his first team squad ruled out for one reason or another. Carvajal, Ramos and Casemiro are all serving bans, Varane and Vallejo are out injured.
Now it turns out that Zidane has problems plucking alternatives from the reserves. Until now, the Madrid coach has occasionally called on Castilla pair ÁlvaroTejero and Manu Hernando whenever he has been short at the back.
Tejero to serve a one-match ban
But Tejero is not available for Saturday's game at the Bernabéu. The 21-year-old centre-back picked up his fifth booking of the campaign against San Sebastián de los Reyes and must now serve a one-match suspension. According to Article 56 of the RFEF's Disciplinary Code, the player has to serve the ban and cannot appear in any other official competition until the suspension is lifted.
So Tejero has no choice but to serve the suspension - regardless of the category it correspends to. It's a blow to the youngester who might have been offered a rare opportunity to show his worth with the senior side. Given the situation, it wouldn't be a surprise if Zidane included Manu Hernando in his squad list for the Sevilla game. If that happens, Manu would be excused from Castilla's meeting with Racing Club Ferrol, which also takes place on Saturday.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Is armpit pain after the covid vaccine or booster shot a normal symptom?
- SOCCER Mohamed Salah sends message to Barcelona
- MLS Jesse Marsch linked to LAFC job after being sacked by RB Leipzig
- USMNT Christian Pulisic explains struggle on the road to recovery
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United manager Rangnick delivers a 'chapeau' to Ronaldo work-rate
- NBA Did the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo miss the game against Miami Heat?