Joaquín spends over one million euros on Real Betis shares
The 36-year-old winger is now both the captain and the fourth most powerful shareholder at the Andalusian club, who are struggling for form under Quique Setién.
Joaquín Sánchez Rodríguez was already a club legend and the captain at Real Betis. The veteran winger has now added to that by spending €1.1 million on shares to become the fourth highest shareholder of the club.
Joaquín invests in childhood club
The 36-year-old now owns approximately 2 percent of Real Betis shares. Only Ángel Haro and José Miguel López Catalán (who together have formed the 'Ahora Betis Ahora' movement), and Manuel Castaño are more influential shareholders.
Joaquín - who made his Betis debut over 17 years ago in August 2000 - is close to agreeing a new contract that will see him remain at the Benito Villamarín until the age of 39. Yet he is looking further ahead than that.
Joaquín admitted after purchasing the shares that he "would like to be the Betis president" in the future.
Betis president congratulates man who covets his title
The current president - Ángel Haro - has congratulated the player for his passion for the club:
"You've got to highlight Joaquín. Betis is his life, and to have a good slice of the club is important for him, he has surprised us," Haro said.
Didier Drogba is a player for, and shareholder of, Phoenix Rising in the United States. While David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, and the Neville brothers have all invested in lower-level clubs.
But Joaquín's relationship with Real Betis goes far, far beyond a business investment. He has never tired of saying it, and now he has demonstrated it: Betis is indeed his life.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?