Zidane leaves Cristiano, Ramos, Marcelo and Kroos out for Copa
As he did in the previous round against Fuenlabrada, the Real boss has decided to rest some of his key players with the Liga game against Celta in mind.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos have been left out of Zinedine Zidane’s squad for the trip to play Numancia in the last 16 of the Copa del Rey in Los Pajaritos with the Real boss eager to preserve both players for the demanding Liga trip to Celta Vigo at the weekend. Marcelo and Toni Kroos have also been omitted with Sunday’s game in mind.
Ramos had a slight injury problem leading into the Club World Cup and sat out the semi-final against Al-Jazira although he did feature in both the final against Grêmio and the Clásico defeat against Barcelona before the winter break.
Cristiano Ronaldo handed a rest
Ronaldo, meanwhile, has played every game of the season so far apart from the double-header against Fuenlabrada in the previous round of the cup after serving a five-game ban at the start of the season for shoving referee De Burgos Bengoetxea during the Spanish Super Cup in August.
The absence of key personnel opens the door to Dani Ceballos to make a rare start for Zidane in Soria. Dani Carvajal will also start against Numancia as he is suspended for the match against Celta while Castilla stalwart Álvaro Tejero makes the squad and could feature at some stage.
Karim Benzema is also missing after returning from the winter break carrying an injury that may also rule him out in Balaídos.
Real Madrid squad for Numancia
Keepers: Navas, Casilla, Moha.
Defenders: Carvajal, Vallejo, Varane, Nacho, Theo, Achraf , Tejero.
Midfielders: Casemiro, Marcos Llorente, Asensio, Isco, Kovacic, Ceballos.
Forwards: Bale, Vázquez, Borja Mayoral.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest