Diego Forlán signs for Hong Kong Premier League side Kitchee SC
The former Villarreal, Atlético and Manchester United striker, 38, last played for Mumbai City in December 2016.
Diego Forlán has decided to make a return to football over a year since he last played competitively after joining Hong Kong Premier League side Kitchee SC.
The former Uruguay international, who twice won the Pichichi trophy in Spain and lifted the Golden Boot at the 2010 World Cup, has been signed as a marquee name as the Hong Kong champions prepare to embark on their first-ever campaign in the AFC Champions League.
Forlán back in the big time at 38
Forlán, 38, last played for Indian side Mumbai City in December 2016 and had been heavily linked with a return to his former club Peñarol, who are also eyeing reinforcements for a Copa Libertadores tilt but decided instead to try his luck in Asia, with the AFC Champions League due to start on February 13. Forlán began his career at Peñarol and played for the Uruguayan side in 2015-16, winning the Primera División title.
During his career Forlán has won the Premier League and FA Cup with Manchester United and was top scorer in LaLiga in 2004-05 with Villarreal. At Atlético Madrid he won the Europa League and the European Super Cup as well as picking up another Pichichi trophy as Liga top scorer in 2008-09.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth