Nico Gaitán: Boca Juniors offer Atlético €7m for 50% of the player's rights
The Argentine club have told Atleti that they are keen to bring Gaitán back to where he started his career.
Boca Juniors are willing to make a significant outlay on Atlético Madrid outcast Nico Gaitán, who has not impressed in the Spanish capital since joining from Benfica in 2016.
Gaitán a man in demand
Boca have offered Atlético €7 million for 50 percent of Gaitán's rights. Gaitán - who played for the Argentine club from 2008-2010 - is priced at €20m, and Swansea City are thought to be among the interested parties from the Premier League.
"It's not an easy negotiation," said Boca president Daniel Angelici, "we're talking every day with Atlético Madrid, and we know that there are other interested clubs. We're going to try until the last moment. Nico wants to play for Boca and that's important."
Agent confirms negotiations
Boca had initially tried to lure Gaitán back across the Atlantic on a loan deal. But Atlético Madrid were not willing to allow a player who cost €25m to leave on a temporary basis. The situation changed when Genoa decided to sell Ricardo Centurión to Racing Club, rather than loan him to Boca. That caused the Xeneizes to pursue Gaitán with renewed vigour.
The player's agent has confirmed that the two clubs are in talks. "They're negotiating," said José Iribarren, "Atlético already have various offers from Boca. We'll see what they decide. Inter Milan is also a possibility, and there are other interested teams. We'll see what happens in the next few hours."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers LB Dre Greenlaw out for 4-6 weeks due to groin injury
- National Football League second week breakdown
- BAYERN MUNICH "Magician", "the next Neymar": new Bayern starlet draws lofty praise
- PREMIER LEAGUE Despite posting losses Woodward confident that Man Utd are 'on right track'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: match-day 5, bullet point preview
- NBA Real Madrid's Demin, Duru among youngsters tipped for NBA