Valencia - Real Madrid
Cristiano Ronaldo doubles Real Madrid lead from the spot
Los Blancos' number seven scores two penalties in the first half to give his side a strong lead in what is a crucial game at the Mestalla against Valencia.
Cristiano Ronaldo put Real Madrid ahead in their crunch Liga game against Valencia at the Mestalla on Saturday and then doubled up as fouls in the area on him and Karim Benzema resulted in spot kicks being awarded.
Cristiano starts and finishes break
The first penalty came after a fantastic break from Los Blancos immediately countering a corner from the home side. Cristiano himself led the charge sprinting from his own half with the ball at his feet as the Valencia midfield struggling to catch him. With Marcelo and Benzema matching the number seven's run either side of him, a one-two was played with the French striker at the edge of the box. As Ronaldo collected the return he stepped passed the closing defenders and drew the foul.
The referee had no choice but to point to the spot and the Portuguese forward slotted home, low to the goalkeeper, Neto's left. That was his 100th career penalty goal, 93 for clubs, seven with Portugal.
Then, in the 38th minute, a deep cross towards Benzema at the back post saw challenge the Frenchman and knocking him to the deck. Cristiano collected the ball and swept the ball firmly into the opposite corner leaving Neto with no chance. The 101st penalty for CR7 and two nil at the break.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is a government shutdown going to happen at the end of the month?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Football heading for 30-minute halves and stopped clock
- NFL Houston's Mills will be fourth rookie QB to start this year
- NFL Tom Brady admits he wants to be paid in Bitcoin
- SOCCER UEFA criticises FIFA for lack of consultation on World Cup proposals
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash