Atlético without Savic and Godín for the next four games
Both defenders are sidelined for three weeks and will miss the league games against Málaga, Athletic and Sevilla and the Europa League tie against Copenhagen.
Atlético de Madrid are likely to without two of their key defenders for the next three weeks. the first casualty of Sunday's was Stefan Savić who limped out of the game on the half hour with a muscular injury. Savić will undergo tests today to determine whether he has suffered a minor tear to his left hamstring. If that's the case, he'll be out of action for the next 20 days or so.
If losing Savić wasn't bad enough, 20 minutes later Atlético were left without Diego Godín, who came out worst in a collision with Valencia keeper Neto. The Uruguayan quit the field and was taken to a local hospital where he was diagnosed with having suffered a triple fracture to the upper jawbone. He needed to undergo reconstructive surgery and will be sidelined for the next three weeks. If doctors decide that he requires another operation, he could be out for even longer.
Atlético centre-backs to miss Copenhagen tie
Savić and Godín will miss the league games against Málaga, Athletic Club and Sevilla as well as both legs of the Europa League Round of 32 tie against Copenhagen. Atleti's objective is to have both players back for the Week 27 trip to Camp Nou to face Barcelona on 4 March.ç
The good news is that Filipe Luis is available again which enables Giménez and Lucas to hold down the central defensive positions. Lucas had been covering for Filipe on the left wing in his absence.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?