Umtiti: Sergio García responds to racial abuse accusations
The Espanyol forward is reported to have racially abused Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti in Sunday's fiery Catalan derby.
Espanyol's Sergio García has responded to accusations that he racially abused Barcelona's Samuel Umtiti during Sunday's heated Catalan derby.
García said to have made racial slur against Umtiti
It has been reported that a furious Umtiti returned to the Barça dressing room after the 1-1 LaLiga draw complaining of a racial slur by García.
Not my intention to be racist - Sergio García
"First of all, I'd like to make it clear that I spoke to Samuel [Umtiti after the game] yesterday," García said on social media on Monday. "In no way was it my intention to be racist!"
"You all know that my wife is of Gypsy ethnicity and that I grew up in a neighbourhood with every race in the world. And my brother-in-law, who I am very close friends with, is an African American.
"In the tension of the game, a lot of things are said that should stay on the pitch."
Fiery end to derby stalemate
Tempers became frayed late on at the RCDE Stadium after Gerard Piqué celebrated his equaliser for the visitors by 'shushing' the home fans, and Espanyol's Gerard Moreno then caught Piqué with a rash challenge.
Referee Jesús Gil Manzano's match report also noted that the tensions between the two sets of players spilled over into the tunnel after the final whistle.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7