Gundogan: Aubameyang saga a burden for Dortmund
Ilkay Gundogan left Dortmund in 2016 but does not think he could have endured the public spectacle of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's exit.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's transfer saga became a "burden" to Borussia Dortmund, according to Ilkay Gundogan.
Germany midfielder Gundogan played with Aubameyang at Signal Iduna Park before joining Manchester City in 2016 and watched on from afar as the Gabon striker became Arsenal's club-record signing for £56million on transfer deadline day.
The 28-year-old scored 13 goals in 16 Bundesliga games for Dortmund this season but, as their title challenge faded amid Peter Bosz's departure as head coach, Gundogan felt persistent speculation over Aubameyang's future proved an unwelcome sideshow.
"The whole hiccup was certainly not conducive to the performance of the team," he told Sport Bild.
"As a player, you see that and if you read negative things in the papers every day it's a burden."
Aubameyang joins a growing list of star names to have turned their back on Dortmund, along with Gundogan – who made his move to the Premier League ahead of Euro 2016 in somewhat more low-key fashion.
"I do not know if I could have done it the way Auba did," Gundogan added.
Recommended in English
- NFL What is the salary of a special teams coach in the NFL?
- NFL Tom Brady 'remains noncommittal’ about playing in 2022; Bruce Arians remains hopeful
- NFL What teams are left in the NFL playoffs?
- Real Madrid Benzema: "Madrid is everything to me, I feel at home here"
- SERIE A Vlahovic: Fiorentina say no offers for in-demand striker
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern want Lewandowski and Neuer to end careers in Munich