Cristiano Ronaldo recovers his form in front of goal in 2018
On Matchday 12 of this year's LaLiga campaign, on 18 November, Cristiano Ronaldo only had one goal to his name. Although the Portuguese striker was customarily deadly in front of goal in the Champions League - netting six times - domestically he was struggling.
This poor run of form now seems a long way away - what a difference a goal makes. The Portuguese striker has scored ten goals in 2018, and currently sits third in the list of leading scorers in Europe's top leagues (Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France, and Portugal). Only Neymar and Agüero, both with 12, have scored more.
Ronaldo's form and fortunes have picked up in the league: in five LaLiga games he has notched up eight goals, including a hat-trick against Real Sociedad. Add to that his two goals against PSG in the Champions League last 16 tie.
"You can never doubt Cristiano," were Zidane's words ahead of Los Blancos' trip to Benito Villamarín, where Ronaldo scored in Madrid's entertaining 3-5 victory.
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski hoping to break NFL record
- NFL Who plays Monday Night football tonight, Week 13? Games, times, TV
- SOCCER Kylian Mbappé disappointed Real Madrid move falls through
- SOCCER Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life'
- REAL MADRID Benzema out for Inter clash but has one eye on Madrid derby