Champions League: Chelsea have a good chance at Barça - Zola
Gianfranco Zola suffered heartache at the Camp Nou in Chelsea colours but believes Antonio Conte's men have every chance of prevailing.
Chelsea great Gianfranco Zola is backing his former club to reach the Champions League quarter-finals at Barcelona's expense.
Antonio Conte's side travel to the Camp Nou with their round-of-16 tie all square at 1-1, Lionel Messi levelling after Willian put the Premier League champions in front.
Zola scored in a 3-1 first-leg win over Barcelona in the last eight back in 2000, only for the return in Spain to see the Catalan giants prevail after extra time.
This time around, Zola is hopeful Chelsea will not suffer Camp Nou misery and believes Conte and his players can make life difficult for Ernesto Valverde's LaLiga leaders.
We signed Gianfranco Zola on this day 21 years ago! pic.twitter.com/rKcaXKHVqH— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) 8 November 2017
"I think Chelsea can go there and surprise Barcelona"
"It's not going to be easy. Playing in Barcelona is a tough game. But Chelsea are a strong team, with good players," Zola told Omnisport.
"I think they can go there and surprise Barcelona, they have the ability to do that. Chelsea have the type of players Barcelona don't like very much, so in my opinion, it's still an open game.
"They will have to defend well. The first leg was 1-1, Barcelona will want to try to win the game [and not rely on the away goal advantage].
"I'm sure they will want to be safe. If Chelsea defend well first, then they can use the counter as they can do really well. I think they stand a very good chance."
***Gianfranco Zola was speaking at the Geneva International Motor Show, on behalf of Yokohama Tyres, the principal partner of Chelsea Football Club. For more information, visit: http://www.yokohama-online.com***
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze