Cat pitch invader voted Bayern man of the match
A cat who briefly invaded the pitch during Bayern Munich's Champions League win at Besiktas has won an online poll.
Bayern Munich fans have voted a cat pitch invader the team's man of the match after the Bundesliga side won a Champions League game against Besiktas.
Thiago Alcantara's opener, a Gokhun Gonul own goal and Sandro Wagner's first Champions League strike saw Bayern win 3-1 in Istanbul, Jupp Heynckes' men booking a quarter-final place 8-1 on aggregate.
But with Bayern virtually assured of progression after a 5-0 home win in the first leg, the highlight of the match was arguably a ginger cat briefly interrupting the action in the second half.
English referee Michael Oliver had to 'paws' the game to shoo the animal away from the pitch, with Bayern quickly making fun of the moment on social media.
Bayern posted a photo-shopped image of Wagner with the cat posing on his shoulder before including the feline in a man-of-the-match poll.
Perhaps inevitably, Bayern fans overlooked Wagner, Thiago and captain Thomas Muller in favour of overwhelmingly voting the cat as the winner of the award.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win