Marseille ultras stab San Mamés security guard in the neck
The 57-year-old security guard is in a stable condition at Basurto hospital. A colleague was stabbed in the hand. An Olympique Marseille fan has been arrested.
Two security guards at San Mamés were injured, one receiving a knife wound to the neck, and an Olympique de Marseille supporter has been arrested in connection with the attack which happened at 19.15 hours - a quarter of an hour before tonight's Europa League tie between Athletic Club and Olympique de Marseille kicked off. According to early reports, the guard drew attention from a group of travelling Olympique de Marseille supporters and was attacked.
The 57-year-old victim was taken to Basurto hospital with a knife wound to the left side of his neck - the cut was not deep enough to penetrate muscles in the patient's neck, a hospital spokesman confirmed. The wounded security guard is reported to be in a stable condition.
Second security guard injured
Almost immediately after that first attack, another member of the stadium security services was injured in a second incident involving Marseille supporters. The guard required medical attention for a minor knife wound to his hand. Shortly afterwards, a Marseille fans was arrested by the Ertzaintza. It is believed however, that the arrested man was not involved in the first aggression.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2