Filipe Luís to return sooner than expected
The Atlético defender was released from hospital on Saturday morning after undergoing surgery on an injury sustained against Lokomotiv Moscow on Thursday.
Filipe Luis, Atlético Madrid and Brazil received a boost on Saturday with news that the Atlético defender was released from hospital after undergoing surgery to install a plate in his left fibula, and is only due to be sidelined for eight weeks.
The shin injury was sustained in Atlético's Europa League win against Lokomotiv Moscow and the initial signs looked ominous for player, club, and country as the left-back was stretchered off in the second half, with the early signs pointing to a broken leg.
The successful operation means that the Brazil left-back is set to make a return to the Brazil squad for this summer's World Cup, although he will be missed domestically with Atlético still fighting for LaLiga and the Europa League.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS When did Cyber Monday originate? What is Cyber Monday?
- NFL What is the Dallas Cowboys best record in franchise history?
- NFL Seattle vs. Washington live online: stats, scores and highlights | NFL Week 11
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- Belichick vindicated once more as Jackson builds DPOY case
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats