Warner not ruling out retirement after ball-tampering scandal
The former Australia vice-captain revealed he may retire from cricket after tape-gate, but the batsman avoided multiple questions about the ball-tampering scandal.
A tearful David Warner accepted he may never play for Australia again as he refused to rule out retirement after the ball-tampering scandal.
Warner was banned from international and domestic cricket for 12 months by Cricket Australia (CA), having been deemed to have instigated the plan to ball-tamper during the third Test against South Africa.
Steve Smith was also suspended for 12 months, while Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine, with all three players able to appeal.
Facing a news conference on Saturday, Warner said he knew his international career could be over.
"I can honestly say I've only ever wanted to bring glory to my country through playing cricket. In striving to do so, I've made a decision which has had the opposite effect and it's one that I'll regret for as long as I live," he said.
"I do realise that I'm responsible for my own actions and the consequences that that brings. It is heartbreaking to know that I'll not be taking the field with my team-mates I love and respect and that I've let down.
"Right now, it is hard to know what comes next, but first and foremost is the well-being of my family.
"In the back of my mind, I suppose there is a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again, but I'm resigned to the fact that that may never happen."
Warner: "I know there are unanswered questions"
While the left-handed batsman took responsibility and apologised for his role, he dodged multiple questions over who was involved or whether he was the orchestrator.
Asked about retirement, Warner, 31, refused to rule it out as a possibility.
"That's something that I'll continue to sit down with my family and weigh up all my considerations before I make any decisions," he said.
Warner later took to social media to explain why he declined to answer questions from the assembled media earlier in the day.
He tweeted: "I know there are unanswered questions and lots of them. I completely understand. In time I will do my best to answer them all. But there is a formal CA process to follow.
"I am taking advice to make sure I properly comply with that process and answer all questions in the proper place and at the proper time.
"I should have mentioned that in my press conference, I'm sorry for not making it clearer. With so much at stake for my family and cricket I have to follow this process properly. I think that's fair."
To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?