Spain to start World Cup 2018 plans without Real Madrid stars
Sergio Ramos, Isco, Marco Asensio, Dani Carvajal... there will be no Los Blancos presence for the start of the national team preparations for Fifa's Russian challenge.
The Spanish national team will start their final preparations for the 2018 World Cup on May 28 in Las Rozas in the community of Madrid. As this comes just two days after the Champions League final in Kiev, Julen Lopetegui will be without those Real Madrid players involved.
No Madrid stars for first Spain friendly
During an informative meeting with the coach Lopetegui and the sports director of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) Fernando Hierro, it was confirmed that the squad will be announced at 13:00 on May 18 and ten days later they players will meet up at the training camp.
"I don't see the advantage of going anywhere outside Spain," said Lopetegui.
Following that initial preparation, on June 7 the Spanish internationals will travel to Krasnodar, where their base for the World Cup is. This is also where they will play the second and last, of their friendlies against Tunisia.
Before that, on June 3, they will warm up against Switzerland in Villarreal, and the coach confirmed that it will be without the involvement of the Real Madrid players. Thye will join up later, following their Champions League final exertions against Liverpool on May 26.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2