Historic victory for Fernando Alonso and Toyota at Le Mans
The Spaniard won his first Le Mans 24 hour race with the Toyota team and is now just one ste away from the Triple Crown of Motorsport.
Toyota won the Le Mans 24 Hours race on Sunday with Spain's double Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso victorious on his debut and now one step away from the Triple Crown of Motorsport (winning Le Mans, the F1 Driver's Championship and the Indianapolis 500)
Toyota wins at 20th attempt
The triumph, expected after champions Porsche withdrew last year, came at the 20th attempt for Toyota who became only the second Japanese manufacturer to win the world's greatest endurance race after Mazda in 1991.
Alonso shared the number eight Toyota TS050 hybrid with Swiss driver Sebastien Buemi and Japan's Kazuki Nakajima, who secured pole position and took the chequered flag.
The number seven Toyota finished second, a lap down, to complete the one-two.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?