Dani Carvajal: "Lopetegui gets the best out of his players"
Julen Lopetegui has a tough act to follow as Zidane's successor at Real Madrid, but Dani Carvajal, who has worked under the coach at international level, believes in him.
Dani Carvajal has high hopes for life under new Real Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui, who he believes always gets the best out of his teams. Zinedine Zidane led the club to a third consecutive Champions League crown last season and ultimately decided to step down soon after, suggesting he would not be able maintain the team's successes.
Lopetegui was announced as Madrid's new coach just prior to the World Cup, a situation which resulted in his sacking by Spain two days before the tournament started. Carvajal is no stranger to Lopetegui, having worked under him with Spain's Under-19s, U21s and the senior side. And he is confident that the Basque coach is a smart choice to replace Zidane.
Carvajal, admirer of Lopetegui's working methods
"I have always enjoyed Lopetegui," Carvajal told El Gráfico. "I share his ideas of football and he is a coach who gets the most out of each player. He is going to do us well and I am already anxious to put myself at his orders. The bar is now very high but we have to have patience."
Madrid head into the new season with an element of uncertainty, having lost both Zidane and Cristiano Ronaldo, - the latter having left for Juventus earlier this month. But Carvajal was keen to highlight their team spirit, something he believes has been vital for their successes.
"We all get along well," he added. "I think that is key for success. It's practically a family and that makes everything easier on the pitch. The pressure at Real Madrid is always there and you learn to live with that. We enter [training] every day and share [the pitch] with the best in the world – it's amazing. I think the good atmosphere has been fundamental for things to go well."
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history