Poyet sacked by Bordeaux after outburst against board
Having branded the board "a disgrace" for selling Gaetan Laborde, Gustavo Poyet has been dismissed as head coach of Bordeaux.
Gustavo Poyet has been sacked by Bordeaux following an outburst against the club's board over the sale Gaetan Laborde.
The Uruguayan was infuriated by the decision to sell Laborde to Montpellier for a reported 5-million-euro fee, apparently without his consent.
Poyet branded the transfer "a disgrace" and suggested he could step down as coach, despite having secured a place in the Europa League play-off round with a 5-2 aggregate win over Mariupol.
Poyet "went overboard", says Bordeaux chief
Club president Stephane Martin confirmed on Friday that Poyet was dismissed for his remarks.
"Gustavo Poyet went overboard yesterday, so we decided to lay him off this morning," he told a news conference.
Players reportedly refused to train over decision
It was reported Bordeaux players initially refused to train on Friday as a protest against Poyet's exit, although they eventually started the session.
The former Tottenham midfielder took charge of the Ligue 1 side in January after leaving Shanghai Shenhua, securing a sixth-place finish last season.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: is a new payment coming? Opt-out, eligibility, tax refund...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 31: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Simone Biles pulls out of vault and bars finals
- OLYMPIC GAMES Connor Fields suffered brain bleed in BMX crash, out of ICU
- OLYMPIC GAMES South Korea U23 vs Mexico U23 live online: scores, stats and updates | Olympic men's soccer