Zoff: "Juventus are better than Real Madrid"
The Juventus legend and World Cup winner believes that the Serie A side's "frightening" midfield line-up puts them ahead of Real Madrid this season.
Ex-Italian goalkeeper Dino Zoff has said that “Juventus are better than Real Madrid” this season, after the Turin club signed Cristiano Ronaldo from Los Blancos this summer for 100 million euros.
Zoff, who played for Juventus in the 70s and 80s, wining six Serie A titles, two Italian Cups and one Uefa Cup, said that the Serie A club had great potential for the 2018/19 campaign, citing its “frightening” midfield line-up.
"Juventus are not less technical or less strong than Madrid in the centre of the field and up front. This Juventus team has potential in many players and we have not yet seen Emre Can. They are not inferior to Real Madrid,” said Zoff in an interview with Italy’s Radio Monte Carlo.
“Juventus this year are better than Real Madrid, because they have a frightening midfield. They have Emre Can, (Federico) Bernardeschi, who defends a lot, and (Blaise) Matuidi, an incredible worker,” added the ex-goalkeeper, who won the World Cup with Italy in 1982.
“I am convinced that they are better. Whether they go on to win, that depends. But on paper I do not see Juventus as inferior to Madrid.”
The Ronaldo debate in Italy
After Ronaldo’s Serie A debut in Juventus’ 3-2 victory over Chievo Verona last Saturday, in which he failed to score a goal, the big debate in Italy has focused on how to best fit the Portuguese legend into coach Massimiliano Allegri’s side.
On that topic, Zoff responded: “I think that with Ronaldo there are no problems around how to play. Allegri knows and will decide on different solutions at different times.”
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries