Judge considering reopening the case into Abidal's liver transplant
According to Cadena SER prosecutors have presented evidence of false documentation in relation to the case involving the former Barcelona player.
The judge investigating possible irregularities in the liver transplant undergone by Eric Abidal, former Barcelona player and current technical director at the Camp Nou, is understood to be considering reopening the case, according to Spanish radio station Cadena SER. She had previously shelved the investigation after failing in attempts to obtain information from French authorities.
New evidence presented in Abidal organ trafficking case
Ser reports that the evidence presented to the judge by prosecutors indicate possible organ trafficking and the use of false documentation, including a "suspicious" certificate filed at the Civil Registry.
The judge has indicated to parties involved in the case that the prosecutors have asked her to reopen the case; she is now deliberating on whether to carry out further investigations and questioning. Prosecutors are requesting that the judge asks for a witness statement from Abidal's cousin, the donor of the liver.
Abidal asks for respect for donor
When the news originally broke of an investigation into the liver donation Abidal posted a picture on Twitter in tribute to his family member with the accompanying caption: "With the publication of this image I want to ask respect to my cousin Gerard and defend his honour.
"I publicly denounce the attitude of some media that continue to question the legality of an intervention that saved my life! Stop it!"
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds