Spain under-21s qualify for Euros with perfect record
Oyarzabal, Borja Mayoral and Rafa Mir all scored in an excellent performance against Albania as Spain under De La Fuente prove they have lots of talent.
Spain's under-21s beat Albania on Thursday night and sealed their qualification to the Euros next summer in Luis de la Fuente's debut as a manager with his side. The new manager played with a 4-2-3-1, which he tends to use for all his team and the Spanish youngster adapted to it as well.
Within five minute, Mikel Oyarzabal has slammed home to give Spain the lead. The cross to the Real Sociedad man was delivered by Valencia's Carlos Soler and Spain never looked back.
Spain, as the tend to do, held the ball for long spells with Soler looking particularly dangerous on the right-hand side. He came close after 18 minutes but Spain would have to wait until the second half for their second goal.
it came after a lovely chipped pass by Mikel Merino, who is replacing Rodri and Dani Ceballos, into Borja Mayoral. The Levante striker drove home with a perfect shot into the side netting.
Rafa Mir, the Las Palmas striker on loan from Wolves, scored the third after a lovely cross by Alfonso Pedraza. Spain dominated on the scoreboard and everywhere else as they took 19 shots to Albania's one.
One generation of Spanish stars has moved on and another generation is coming through to prove under De La Fuente that there is plenty of life in Spain's underage structure.
Recommended in English
- NFL | BEARS Bears coach Nagy relieved after snapping streak against Lions
- NFL Bills QB Allen demands 'pursuit of perfection'
- COPA LIBERTADORES Copa Libertadores final 2021: Palmeiras and Flamengo battle it out for South American title
- MANCHESTER UNITED Manchester Utd: Rangnick may beat Real Madrid to Haaland
- SOCCER When will AFC, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL & OFC teams qualify for World Cup inter-confederation play-offs?
- NBA How are the NBA's rookie class doing after one month?