Tennis player Rafa Nadal and karate fighter Sandra Sánchez were named as the principal names on the honours list on Wednesday for the 2017 National Sports Awards; among the other award winners were golf player Jon Rahm and Real Madrid goalkeeper, Keylor Navas.
Juan Mata honoured for charity work
The awards, which will be presented by the Spanish monarchs, will also go to Manchester United's Juan Mata, for his Common Goal charity work, the athlete María Vicente wins an award for the best sportsperson under the age of 18 while the achievements of the male and female ice hockey teams have also been recognized by the CSD.
La relación completa de premiados es la siguiente:
- King Felipe VI Best Sportsman award: Rafael Nadal (Tennis)
- Queen Letizia Best Sportswoman award: Sandra Sánchez (Karate)
- King Juan Carlos I Most Promising Sportsman award: Jon Rham (Golf)
- Queen Sofía award: Juan Mata (Common Goal Project)
- Princess Leonor award for the best sportsperson under the age of 18: María Vicente (Athletics)
- Princess Royal Sofía award: A la Par Foundation
- IberoAmerican Community Trophy: Keylor Navas (Football)
- Barón de Güell Cup for the best team: male and female ice hockey teams
- Stadium Cup: Trinidad Alfonso Foundation
- CSD award: Melilla
- Joaquín Blume Trphy: Ortega y Gasset Institute/Blume Residence, for their work in the education of young sports men and women.
- National Arts and Applied Sports Science award: Javier Fesser/David Marqués director and script writer for the film: Campeones.