Tebas looking to bring a top flight Ecuador league game to Spain
The ongoing talks with the Ecuadorian federation should help the LaLiga head in his ongoing quest to bring a Spanish league game to the US.
Javier Tebas is planning on bringing a top flight game from the Ecuadorian league (Serie A) to Spain. The head of LaLiga has been in the South American country this week speaking to representatives from the local FA in an effort from both sides to maximise potential for the domestic Ecuadorian campaign. The Tebas plan involves playing a league game in either Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia, Spanish cities with the high Ecuadorian communities.
The imminent deal with the local FA (Federación Ecuatoriana de Fútbol) would also strengthen Tebas's hand in his ongoing mission for a LaLiga game to be staged in the United States with the Girona-Barça already earmarked to be played in Miami next January. If the venture with Ecuador's Serie A materialises and a game is held in Spain then it would ease the path for a LaLiga game to be staged in the US or other overseas nation with the necessary approvals from global governing bodies (FIFA, COMNEBOL, CONCACAF) and add pressure for the Spanish FA to approve of the initiative in staging LaLiga games away from Spanish soil.
After the US, Spain is home to the highest community of Ecuadorians with an estimated diaspora of 370.000. The plan for the Serie A game is for one of the bigger clubs (Emelec, LDU) to face a mid-ranking club in either Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What's the debt ceiling? Why is the debt ceiling important?
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Ten Hag denies interest as Henry enters frame
- Soccer Khalida Popal on the impact of the Taliban takeover on women’s football in Afghanistan
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's Benzema: "This club is my whole life"
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Herbert should electrify against Chiefs
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS Social Security Benefit: how to know if you are eligible for the maximum payment?