"Messi is the greatest ever" – Samuel Eto'o
Former Barcelona forward Samuel Eto'o is in no doubt that his old team mate Lionel Messi is the greatest player to have ever graced a football field.
Lionel Messi is the greatest player of all-time, according to his former Barcelona team-mate Samuel Eto'o. Messi was named in the FIFPro World XI on Monday, but missed out on being in the top three for FIFA's The Best Men's Player award.
Modric, Cristiano and Salah on the podium
Real Madrid and Croatia star Luka Modric claimed the main prize, ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Mohamed Salah. Regardless, Eto'o – who played alongside Messi at Barça from 2004-09 – said the Argentina star was the greatest of all-time.
"Leo, for us, will always be the best player in the world ever," he said. "The human beings have to choose and they chose those three players, who have done well this year too. But for people like me and others, it doesn't change the fact that Leo is the best player in the world ever."
Messi has won nine LaLiga titles and four Champions League crowns among numerous other trophies at Barcelona, while he is a five-time winner of the Ballon d'Or.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?