Real Madrid fail to find the net in over five hours of football
This is the first time since 2007 that Madrid have been so goal-shy. The last time the club put together such a record was under the guidance of Fabio Capello.
It's now eleven years, nine months and 12 days days since Real Madrid have matched a run of official games failing to score a goal in competitive football.
Back in January 2007 Italian Fabio Capello was on the Santiago Bernabeu bench as his side put together a series three games (vs. Recreativo 0-3, Deportivo away (2-0) and a 0-0 draw with Betis) where the Chamartin side failed to score with the hoodoo only broken through a Ruud Van Nistelrooy goal in a 1-0 home win against Real Zaragoza.
Many have speculated on the motives for this barren spell with observers claiming that the side is still missing the predatory figure of Cristiano Ronaldo who moved to Juventus in the summer with an out and out replacement for the Portuguese striker never materialising. Others state that it's just a question of bad luck, an argument which is supported by the three times "Los Blancos" hit the woodwork at the Luzhniki stadium last night in the 1-0 defeat to CSKA.
Madrid are next in action on Saturday as they travel to Mendizorroza to face Deportivo Alaves and in the past two trips to the Basque capital, Madrid have come out on top securing a 1-2 win last season and an even more emphatic 1-4 in the fixture during the 2016/17 campaign.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool